Crew selection is perhaps the most difficult time for coaches because of the emotional ties they have made with all of the athletes in the program. This part of the program has the potential for devastating effects on the crew. The athletes must feel the selection process is fair and that the crew is made up of the best athletes. At times an individual’s perception of the best athletes may conflict with the selection test results. For this reason testing methods, procedures and results must be transparent.
Crew Selection is a DRAFT copy of a chapter and discusses the Selection Document and the selection provess
Seat Racing is used by many coaches in the crew selection process. Here is an Excel file that shows seat changes and will calculate the results. There are a variety of sheets within this file that help with seat racing in fours, pairs and doubles.
Purcerverance can support coaches and athletes as an outside, non-bias resource and observer throughout the selection process.
- Review the Selection Document.
- Review evaluation events planning and setup.
- Communicate with coaches/selectors regularly.
- Review athlete scores following evaluations and check to ensure accuracy.
- Monitor athlete progression through selection events as a non-bias observer.
- Act as a resource for coaches and selectors
- Act as a confidential contact for athletes and bring their questions/concerns to coaches/selectors.
- Maintain an ongoing record of the selection process, event results, athlete progress, final ranking and crews selected.
- Provide a final Report of the selection process.
Contact Purcerverance (email@example.com) for more information.